Thursday, November 19, 2015

In Person: Cheryl Strayed

Last night, I was lucky enough to attend an event in DC at which Emily Yoffe (fka Dear Prudence) was in conversation with Cheryl Strayed (aka Dear Sugar, in print and podcast). Cheryl became one of my absolute favorite authors when I read Wild, and then permanently secured her place in my heart and on my bookshelf with Tiny Beautiful Things. I have seen her speak once before at the AWP conference in 2013, when she was in conversation with Augusten Burroughs.


Cheryl Strayed is currently on tour to promote her newest book, Brave Enough (of which we all got a free copy, with our ticket). Brave Enough, as described on her website, is "a collection of quotes--drawn from the wide range of her writings--that capture her wisdom, courage, and outspoken humor." Cheryl has written and spoken about how important quotes are to her; she has carried them around with her - physically, emotionally, mentally - for her entire life. On her Pacific Crest Trail hike that was chronicled in Wild, she left a quote of personal importance in each of the visitors logs as she trekked. Her publishers decided that - after her amazing advice column and subsequent book, Dear Sugar and Tiny Beautiful Things, respectively - people would love a compliation of some of her best quotes. They were right.


Last night, the Sixth & I synagogue was sold out. People packed the venue to see, hear, and meet these two well-known advice columnists. Sixth & I encouraged the audience to live-tweet the event (I never miss a chance to live-tweet an exciting event). I have compiled a few of my (and others') tweets for you to peruse. I feel like Cheryl would appreciate my quoting her.




I did get to meet Cheryl at the end of the event; she had a very structured book signing and I waited almost an hour to see her. Even after signing countless books and meeting countless earnest faces, she was still sweet and caring. With heartfelt warmth, she showed my friend and me a photo of her and her daughter as we talked. She seems like such a kind soul, and I hope I'll get the chance to meet her again. For now, I'll be burying my head in Brave Enough, and likely rereading her other books as well.

1 comment:

  1. I was always a big fan of Cheryl Strayed author and I find that she has an original style of inspirational books. I got used to write articles on a various topics a lot and this writer gave me absolutely new vision, that even helped me to write a business law papers with help of custom writing service I did all that in a wright way.

    ReplyDelete